lundi 2 mai 2016

Responding to your message (from the Senator), received 02-May-2016

Dear,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the current vacancy on the United States Supreme Court. I appreciate you taking the time to contact me on this important issue.

As you may know, on April 14, 2016 I met with Supreme Court nominee Judge Merrick Garland. We had a very cordial meeting, and I enjoyed the opportunity to meet with him. As I have said previously, however, I believe the American people should have a voice in this debate.  This is a lifetime appointment that could reshape the Supreme Court for a generation, and I believe the best thing for the country is to trust the American people to weigh in. Instead of having a nomination fight in this partisan election year environment, I believe awaiting the result of the election will give the nominee more legitimacy and better preserve the Court's credibility as an institution.

It is common practice for the Senate to stop acting on lifetime appointments during the last year of a presidential term, and it's been nearly 80 years since any president was permitted to immediately fill a vacancy that arose in a presidential election year. I have supported some of President Obama's federal court nominees and opposed others, based on their qualifications. Whether the next president is a Republican or Democrat, I will judge any nominee on the merits, as I always have.

I also wanted to share with you my recent op-ed on the best way to replace Justice Scalia on the Supreme Court. The full op-ed can be found here.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me. For more information, you can visit my website at www.portman.senate.gov. Please keep in touch.

Sincerely,
Rob Portman
U.S. Senator

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire